Kloxxado® is Now Included on the VA National Formulary at a $0 Copay
Veterans in the middle of long-term opioid therapy are just one of the groups of VA patients who now have access to Kloxxado® (naloxone HCl) Nasal Spray 8 mg, an opioid overdose reversal medication, at a $0 copay.1
Reflecting its commitment to helping Veterans, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has recently updated its national formulary to add Kloxxado® to its list of VA pharmacy benefits.1 VA Pharmacy Benefits Management Services offers a broad range of services and is committed to provide and deliver Veterans personalized, proactive, patient-driven health care.2
VA patients who are candidates for Kloxxado® include:1
- Those with a history of previous opioid overdose
- Those with an opioid use disorder or substance use disorder diagnosis (including individuals receiving treatment, such as medications for opioid use disorder or inpatient, residential, or outpatient treatment, or attending support groups)
- Those with a history of prescription opioid misuse or injection opioid use
- Those who use of non-prescribed drugs (e.g., heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine or other stimulants) which could be contaminated with potent opioids like illicitly manufactured fentanyl
Veterans who received naloxone kits felt enabled to take personal responsibility of their safety.3 Naloxone kits not only provide Veterans assurance of their own safety, but also the safety of others around them.
The opioid epidemic has required the VA to find better ways to manage pain in Veterans while limiting the risks of opioids. A recent article, “Addressing the Opioid Epidemic in the United States: Lessons from the Department of Veterans Affairs” describes the system-wide strategies the VA has been employing since the launch of the Opioid Safety Initiative in 2013.4 It’s this concern that has led the VA to ensure the availability of naloxone through increased distribution efforts.1 In addition, it offers several educational resources regarding pain management and opioid use for both providers and patients on their website.5
If you or a loved one want to know more, talk to your VA doctor about Kloxxado® (naloxone HCl) nasal spray 8 mg.
Kloxxado® is a registered trademark of Hikma Specialty USA Inc.
- KLOXXADO® (Naloxone HCl) Nasal Spray [prescribing information]. Columbus, OH: Hikma Specialty USA, Inc.; 2021
- NARCAN® (Naloxone HCl) Nasal Spray [prescribing information]. Plymouth Meeting, PA: Adapt Pharma, Inc.; 2020
- Avetian et. al. 2018, “Use of naloxone nasal spray 4mg in the community setting: a survey of use by community organizations”, Current Medical Research and Opinion
- NIDA. “Naloxone DrugFacts.” National Institute on Drug Abuse, Jun. 2021, https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/naloxone
- San Francisco Department of Public Health, “Naloxone for opioid safety. A provider’s guide to prescribing naloxone to patients who use opioids.” 2017, https://www.chcf.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/PDF-NaloxoneOpioidSafetyProviders.pdf